What is the Viability Scan?
Viability Scan is the first ultrasound we offer during pregnancy and it aims to:
- Confirm the baby’s heartbeat
- Check for single/multiple pregnancy
- To confirm age of pregnancy and estimate date of delivery (EDD)
- To check the baby (embryo), gestational sac and to exclude early abnormalities.
Optimal time for the scan
Generally the recommended time frame for the Viability Scan is :
- From 8+0 to 9+6 weeks in the absence of symptoms
- From 6+0 to 7+6 if there is an indication or risk for an ectopic pregnancy
Please note that we can most reliabily detect the baby’s heartbeat from the middle of the week 7. Please avoid coming in earlier than 7+0 unless you are experiencing symptoms such as heavy vaginal bleeding and tummy pain.
How do we perform Viability Scan?
Our advanced ultrasound technology allows us to perform the viability scan transabdominally.
In rare cases we will need to perform transvaginal scan.
We do NOT need full urinary bladder for the scan. Please feel free to empty your bladder before the scan.