What is the Anomaly Scan?
At the Anomaly Scan we perform comprehensive top-to-toe structural examination of the baby and its environment in the womb aiming to exclude structural anomalies and other conditions.
Highlights of City Ultrasound Anomaly Scan:
- checking more structures than any other institution
- fetal echocardiography (heart scan) included
- corpus callosum visualisation
- vasa previa screening
- 3D/4D scan as a bonus
- advanced scanner with high resolution probes
Optimal time for the scan
The optimal time for comprehensive Anomaly Scan is
- from 20 to 23 weeks
- best at 22 weeks
This slightly delayed period (comparing to NHS) is chosen because some important structures of the brain (like corpus callosum and cerebellar vermis) are still not completely formed at 19 weeks.
Technically we can do the scan at 19 weeks.
How do we perform Anomaly Scan?
Anomaly Scan is generally transabdominal scan.
We can offer you optional free transvaginal scan:
- In rare cases, when the baby is in awkward position and does not wish to move: in order to check the lowest part of the baby
- If the placenta is low or praevia (covering the birth canal) or there is a suspicion for vasa previa
- If you are in high risk group for premature delivery: for Cervical Scan
You do NOT need to have full urinary bladder for the scan.