Coronavirus & Pregnancy
Pregnancy Scans in London at the time of COVID-19 Pandemic
In light of the COVID-19 outbreak and the strain on the NHS, we currently offer a 20% discount on all of our scans & packages.
Our services during COVID-19
We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic is a worrying time for everyone, especially pregnant women who have been identified as increased risk group.
All the research done on the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) is still at its early stages, and there the impact on the pregnant woman and/or unborn baby. Currently there is no evidence to suggest an increased risk of adverse maternal or fetal outcomes, however, with the passage of time we believe researchers will have a better understanding of its impacts.
Because the information about coronavirus and pregnancy is incomplete and rapidly evolving, we created regularly updated blog which brings together the current evidence about effect of the novel coronavirus outbreak and COVID-19 on pregnancy.
If you think you may have symptoms of COVID-19 you should contact your maternity care team or use the NHS 111 online service for further information and advice.
These symptoms include but not limited to; high fever, dry cough, shortness of breath, and a sudden loss of smell/taste.
Why City Ultrasound after thorough risk assessment decided to start providing care for pregnant women at the time of COVID 19 pandemic?
- There are growing extra pressures on NHS maternity and healthcare services
- Understandably some pregnant women will need more reassurance regarding wellbeing of their babies at the time of novel coronavirus outbreak
- City Ultrasound aims to provide high quality screening and diagnostic service for pregnant women and their unborn babies
- We have taken various precautions to ensure services are provided in a way that is safe for our patients and our staff
What precautions in the context of coronavirus we use for our patients and staff?
- We have only one scanning room
- We are following strict policies on cleaning and disinfection of our equipment and especially ultrasound transducers and examination couch
- We use minimum amount of staff, which is enough to run our service safely (doctor & clinician)
- We use personal protective equipment (PPE) including disposable masks and gloves
- Our two separate waiting areas provide physical separation between visitors
- We have maximum of two appointments per hour
- We use an advanced air purifying unit in the scanning room, which captures at least 99.97% of airborne particles. Please note that this technology has not yet been tested with COVID-19 and cannot guaranty protection against coronavirus transmission
- We only use an online payment system to avoid contamination from contacts with PIN number pads and cash
- For baby’s images and scan report we use cloud-based system, which allows you immediately to receive high-quality pictures and videos on your mobile phone or email
- You can use your private transport. Currently there is no congestion charge and there are paid car parking bays near City Ultrasound Centre (around Finsbury Circus). Please check parking rules before living your car
Special Guidance for Scan Appointment during COVID-19 Pandemic:
- Please inform us if you experience any of the above-mentioned symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with the virus. You may have to follow the advice on NHS’s 111 service and self-isolate for 7 days. We’ll be happy to reschedule your appointment free of charge
- Please follow the social distancing guidance of keeping a two-metre (6 feet) distance from others and using private transport where possible
- Please consider attending the scan wearing your personal mask, gloves or any other personal protective equipment (PPE)
Please wash your hands before and after the scan
- Please come alone or with only ONE accompanying person
- Please avoid bringing children with you to scanning appointments
- Please bring all your previous scans with NHS (if you have ones) and we can compare the baby’s growth velocity and development
- We recommend you keep your usual scanning schedule with the NHS
I have booked a scan at City Ultrasound through the on-line booking system, but now I have COVID-19 symptoms. What do I do?
Unfortunately, if you have symptoms, we cannot scan you. If you are worried about the impact of this on your pregnancy or your unborn child, we recommend that you contact your maternity unit or other pregnancy care provider. Please follow PHE/NHS/RCOG Guidelines.
If this is the case, please contact us ASAP in order for us to refund your appointment fee (this may take up to 72 hours to process). Alternatively, we are happy to postpone your scan when your isolation period is over.